Featured Post

The white-Left Part 1: The two meanings of white

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Two years blogging for the Arab Spring

This diary is being published exactly two years, to the minute, after I published my first of 270 diaries on the social-political phenomenon that came to be known as the Arab Spring.

At the time, I was writing the still unfinished screenplay for Vietnam: People's Victory, the sequel to my 2008 Vietnam: American Holocaust, and I don't think I could have found Tunisia on a map without consulting Google first.

When I checked my email on the morning of 14 January 2011, I found a bulletin from EFF warning about a JavaScript exploit that the Ben Ali regime was using to track and arrest anti-government Tunisian bloggers.

It was my work in the area of Internet freedom that brought me awareness of the Arab Spring early on.

I decided to put my other tasks aside for a while and write a diary about it for the Daily Kos.
EMERGENCY: DKos Must Act Now to Protect Tunisian Bloggers! was the product and I never looked back.

This second anniversary would almost certainly have escaped my attention but for an impromptu twitter exchange with Robert Fisk yesterday.

Sunday, Common Dreams published Anonymous Comments, Gutless Trolls, and Why It's Time We All Stop Drinking This Digital Poison by Robert Fisk.

After reading it, I tweeted:



Which provoked the following exchange:










Click here for a list of my other blogs on Syria
Click here for a list of my other blogs on Libya

No comments:

Post a Comment